How to Deal With That Boss Who Always Finds Something Faulty in You
I once worked with this boss who, no matter how you tried, he will always find something faulty in you however much you tried.
The man, who was in his early forties, was hard to impress. In fact, the time you put in your best effort is the time he will find a much bigger mistake in you.
He was unpredictable. One time he is smiling at you, the next time he is frowning at you. One time he is congratulating you for doing a wonderful job, the next time he is scolding you.
His word was final and he never liked being countered. Once he was furious, as a loyal servant, your work was to accept everything he says by “Yes Sir!” Even if he told you that you were “ignorant, lazy, good for nothing fool,” you had to nod your head and say “Yes Sir!”
I know there are many other bosses out their like my former boss. Men and women who rarely see anything good. Men and women who will forget 99 good things and concentrate on one simple mistake that you have committed.
So, how do you handle such people? Here are some of the ways of coping with such individuals.
- Do the right thing. Always make sure that you are doing the right thing. Do not do an obvious wrong thing that will make them notice and hence justify their usual allegations.
- Do your level best. In whatever you do, make sure that you do your best. Put in your best effort and be happy with that. Even if someone will see some fault in it, deep within you know that you put in your level best.
- Congratulate yourself first. Be like the proverbial lizard who, having fallen from a tall tree, looked both ways and saw no one who could congratulate him. The lizard looked at the tree, looked at the height and told himself, “that was a lucky escape! You did it man! Congratulations!” So, do your work, look at it and make sure it okay and tell yourself, “Congratulations!”
- Look at the things that always piss your boss off and avoid them. If there is something that you repeatedly do that your boss does not like, avoid them and be at peace.
- Did you know that some bosses, when bored always look for something to excite them? And more funny is that what excites such bosses is through frustrating other people. This sounds funny, isn’t it? So, look at your boss, when he starts showing some signs of boredom, avoid him. Don’t even look at him for he might mistake your look for being idle.
- Never give up. Always hold to what you believe in. Even if people may seem not to be appreciating whatever you are doing, you should keep up the spirit and don’t lose the morale.